Activated carbon for gas phase pollutants removal
Activated carbon is a micro porous inert carbon matrix, with a very large internal surface (700 up to 2,000 m²/g), it is ideal for adsorption.
When gas flow is conducted by the activated carbon, chemical molecules that need to remove are bound to micro porous. After reaching the saturation degree, activated carbon could be regenerated when heat it to a higher temperature by steam, hot air or nitrogen, the captured molecules escape from pores.
By the benefit of adsorption and desorption characteristics, activated carbon is widely applied for disposal of volatile organic compounds (VOC) at printing, paint industries, solvent recovery system and scents, odor removal.
Most of application of adsorption is filled granular carbon in a caught bed, it is effective to remove pollutants in the gas, but problem is the gas flow resistance increase dramatically with the increase of bed height and gas flow velocity, to resolve this, honeycomb carbon filter was developed.
Filter-- Honeycomb Activated Carbon Block
Honeycomb-like activated carbon filter is a new type of absorption material made by high quality powder activated carbon and binder. As picture below, honeycomb carbon block has a large amount of through holes from one end to another end in a cubic or cylindrical shaped block. This kind of structure gives low pressure drop, high mechanical strength and more contact surface with gas. Honeycomb carbon block is mainly used for vapor phase pollutants removal.now it is widely use for air purification system which is high flow rate, low-concentration VOC pollutant air streams
This product is not only for industrial application, it also could develop to home application device to control odor, contaminant gas and vapor content with high efficiency
- From product structure, it is easy to understand honeycomb has lower pressure drop when gas go through the holes. A test was done to compare pressure resistance between carbon pallets 1-8 mesh and honeycomb 100 cells per square inch (CPSI), at gas linear velocity 0 to 2.0 meter/second, Honeycomb carbon block has far lower pressure drop trend.
- Another study with 300 CPSI honeycomb block and 4mm granular activated carbon was done by a Japan company. At liner velocity 1m/s, Honeycomb is only 1/10 of granular carbon on pressure drop.
- Honeycomb carbon has a higher external surface area of adsorbent compare to granular carbon，it has 2X bigger contact areas for adsorption if using 100 CPSI, 4X if using 300 CPSI honeycomb.
- Honeycomb shape could be cubes, round cylinders, oval, square and rectangular cylinders, holes density could be 100 to 300 cells per square inch.
- It is possible to reduce gas purification system size and energy consumption with application of honeycomb carbon, especially to those high flow rate, low-concentration pollutant air streams devices.
- The pollutants can be removed by honeycomb activated carbon: benzene, carbon tetrachloride, acetone, ethanol, aether, carbinol, acetic acid, ethyl ester, cinnamene, chlorine, phosgene, foul gas, butane, etc.